Banner Health believes leadership matters, and we look for people who share our vision making health care easier, so life can be better. Our leaders are at the front of health care transformation, planning the future of Banner Health.
Banner Health is conducting a nationwide search for Senior Director of Skilled Nursing Facility Operations to join our team. Banner Health, an integrated healthcare delivery system based in Phoenix, Arizona, is nationally recognized as an innovative, quality and patient centric driven, population health organization who understands and is dedicated to the post-acute sector of healthcare. As such, the ideal candidate for this position would be an innovative and strategic thinker who is able to balance the needs of the healthcare system along with operation oversight and financial stewardship for the 91 licensed bed facility located in Sun City, Arizona.
In this critical role, you would sit on Banner Health's Post-Acute Executive Leadership team, be highly visible at a system level, and have access to the vast resources associated with being part of the largest employer in Arizona. This is an exciting opportunity to evaluate the current market position, develop and then execute on a strategy which will position the organization for ongoing success as a fully integrated healthcare delivery system.
Your pay and benefits are important components of your journey at Banner Health. This opportunity is also eligible for our Management Incentive Program, as part of your Total Rewards package. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
Help patients return to as independent a lifestyle as possible at the Skilled Nursing Facility at Banner Boswell Rehabilitation Center. This short-term, inpatient rehabilitation facility is designed to maximize each patient's functional abilities. Some of the most common care pathways at the skilled facility include recovery from hip fractures, stroke, diabetes, joint replacement and debility/weakness.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for developing and implementing strategies for the designated skilled nursing facility. This position is responsible for providing leadership and direction in the pursuit of producing targeted results and ensuring that the care provided is of the highest clinical and service quality and provided in a financially responsible manner.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Provides leadership for the facility, ensuring its strategic and fiscal growth and positioning the organization as a market leader with employees, physicians and the community. Develops and supports an integrated business development plan to ensure volume targets and referrals are met.
2. Provides leadership in the development, implementation and evaluation of new and re-engineered programs, service, products and markets, to address the changes in the health care environment. Uses creativity in the delivery of services and products in a highly competitive managed care market. Ensures that planning within the departments is done in a manner to support system strategic direction. Ensure the planning, implementation, and evaluation of an environmental safety program and emergency program that will maintain the health and protect the welfare, and safety of patients, employees, and visitors. Ensures a safe work place environment for the facility team.
3. Provides leadership in the delivery of coordinated, integrated patient care through the development and improvement of delivery systems. Produces results that meet or exceed identified strategic and operational targets through leadership. Leads the integration of innovation and evidence-based findings into practice. Creates an environment supportive of innovative solutions. Assumes a leadership role, in partnership with physician and facility leaders, in managing the quality of services provided. Demonstrates and directs employees by using a systematic approach in analyzing and utilizing data in problem-solving, with a focus on results and the evaluation of outcomes.
4. Utilizes all aspects of continuous performance improvement. Provides care in a fiscally responsible manner through continuous process improvement and through the collaboration of multiple disciplines. Provides direction for process improvement activities, including the establishment of performance measures to attain optimal clinical, operational, financial and satisfaction outcomes and evaluation of utilization patterns and other program outcomes. Secures appropriate resources and systems to support facility operations.
5. Shapes a positive service excellence culture and climate within the facility. Provides for a well-maintained, clean, and attractive environment. Plans, implements, and provides integration between the facility and other community resources. (eg: hospitals, vendors). Provides leadership in matching service delivery with service expectations through an organizational structure that facilitates the development of a culture of employee engagement and service excellence. Establishes high performance standards for service outcomes and works with leadership team to meet standards and continually improve patient satisfaction and loyalty. Assures operational targets are met for patient satisfaction, employee satisfaction, physician satisfaction, and employee turnover.
6. Achieves financial targets. Reviews and interprets monthly financial statements. Maintains financial accountability while not losing sight of clinical quality and service excellence. Meets all revenue, expense, productivity, and operating margin targets. Provides strategic direction for operations and capital expenditures to all leaders to ensure the highest quality of care at the most efficient cost. Manages the financial and capital resources for the areas of responsibility by monitoring operating revenue and expenses, establishing and maintaining cost control programs and developing and implementing new or revised programs and/or services set out in the business plan. As necessary, negotiates, interprets, and implements financial aspects of contractual agreements. Ensures protection of facility assets (e.g. insurance coverage, and risk management).
7. Ensures competency of staff through appropriate hiring, training, developing, evaluating, coaching to strengths, and disciplining subordinate staff. Creates an environment of accountability in the areas of our people, service excellence, and accountability for results and expectations. Assesses overall staffing effectiveness in areas of responsibility by ensuring the appropriate number, competency and skill mix of staff are involved in the provision of needed health care services. Develops leadership skills of management team and other key staff. Educates staff regarding financial management. Educates staff, patients, families, responsible parties and other key groups regarding interpretation of, and compliance with, regulatory requirements.
8. Observes, monitors, and evaluates outcomes of all the facilities programs, policies, and procedures, to ensure effectiveness, and to fulfill administrative responsibilities (facility license) and professional responsibility (personal NHA license). Participates in professional development activities. Identifies areas of potential legal liability and implements an administrative intervention or risk management program to minimize or eliminate exposure. Ensure the facility is compliant with all regulatory bodies, including Medicare, State, Joint Commission and CMS, as applicable. Enforces rules and regulations relative to the health care and safety of patients. Provides administrative oversight over the survey process and conducts administrative review of survey outcomes to develop appropriate response. Ensures that all standards, policies and procedures are met to ensure the highest degree of care is delivered.
9. This position has direct responsibilities for the designated facility. This position has full latitude to actively make decisions and choices which adhere to the mission and values of the organization while following all legal, regulatory and internal policies. This position assures operational excellence in providing exceptional clinical and service quality, while operating in a financially responsible manner. This position also assures that the programs and services are clinically integrated and assures clinical integration of other business lines in the organization.
Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards. Provides all customers of Banner Health with an excellent service experience by consistently demonstrating our core and leader behaviors each and every day.
Requires a level of business and clinical knowledge as normally obtained through the completion of a Bachelor's Degree in business administration, health services ore related field. Requires five to seven years of work experience in the capacity of a licensed nursing home administrator.
Requires current licensure as nursing home administrator in state of practice based on regulatory requirements.
Must possess a strong knowledge and understanding of healthcare trends and financial management of healthcare operations. Knowledge of the requirements of the various regulatory and accrediting agencies as applicable. Requires strong written and oral communication skills. Must demonstrate strong decision-making, critical thinking and group facilitation skills along with the ability to lead change and to rapidly prioritize needs. Ability to develop strong relationships with suppliers and customers. Analytical and critical thinking skills are required to integrate and interpret data from diverse sources. Ability to integrate information to establish business priorities, decisions and budgets.
Master's Degree in business administration, health services administration or related field preferred. Five years' experience total in at least two different organizations that provides a skilled nursing environment.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R4369
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.