ture is full of possibilities. At Banner Health, we're excited about what the future holds for health care. That's why we're changing the industry to make the experience the best it can be. If you're ready to change lives, we want to hear from you.
Banner Hospice and Palliative Care is a fully integrated provider of high-quality, compassionate advanced illness and end-of-life care serving patients across the Metro Phoenix area and in Northern Colorado. Banner Hospice is ranked among the Top 100 U.S. Hospice providers. Banner Palliative Care and Hospice consistently outperforms the national benchmarks and other regional hospice agencies in the CMS Hospice Quality Reporting Program publicly reported metrics. We are interconnected across the Banner Health system serving as Banner's advanced illness resource partner to our hospitals, clinics, health plans, and other service lines. Banner Palliative Care and Hospice is proud to provide medical care lead by a team comprised entirely of physicians' board certified in Hospice and Palliative Medicine.
As a Master Social Worker for palliative care patients, you will work closely with our inpatient Care Coordination team at Banner facilities in East Valley. You will be involved in the collaborative process of assessment, planning, facilitation, and advocacy for options and services to meet the individual's health care needs through communication and available resources to promote quality cost-effective outcomes.
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life
Ranked in the top 25 percent of all home care agencies in the United States, Banner Home Care is the largest nonprofit, free-standing home care agency in Arizona. We provide intermittent health care for patients of all ages in the comfort of their home. Our home care team is experienced, compassionate and professional, and the results prove that Banner Home Care measures better than the national and Arizona average in almost all Medicare Quality Compare patient satisfaction results. Banner Hospice have been providing comfort care for the past 10 years in the Phoenix Metro area. The goal is to support quality of life, honor the wishes of patients, maintain the dignity of the individual and support the family through their grieving process. Inpatient Home care is also available for respite care and symptom management. The Banner Hospice Team can provide comfort to the patient and family by alleviating symptoms, by providing meaningful help and by creating an environment to develop lasting final memories.
POSITION SUMMARY This position develops, coordinates and provides social work services to patients and families who are faced with social, emotional and situational stressors precipitated by illness, injury, and/or disability. The goal is to aid in adaptation and empower the patient and the family to participate to the fullest of their abilities in the discharge planning process. This position provides developmentally appropriate care for the population that it serves which includes planning for the safe discharge and continuity of care, the ability to recognize and plan for the unique needs of all ages as well as the physically disabled, mentally ill, chronically ill and terminally ill patient.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Processes and facilitates the assessment with analysis of functional and psychological needs of the patient within the framework of his/her developmental stage, functional abilities, cultural milieu, and support network. Assessment of the relationship of the patient's medical needs to the patient's home situation, financial resources, and availability of community resources. Assessment of the social and emotional factors related to the patient's illness, need for care, response to treatment, and adjustment to care. Assessment includes: initial assessments, behavioral observations, test (MMSE, depression screening, substance abuse screening), resource identification - strength based, collection and analysis of information to determine an individual's treatment needs.
2. Formulates a plan of intervention acceptable to the patient, family, and health care team. Facilitate adjustments to the plan of care when necessary to promote enhanced outcomes. Collaborates with all members of the healthcare team to develop, manage, and communicate patient needs and discharge plans.
3. Documents all interventions in the patient medical record both timely and accurately including all elements of the transitional care plan to include the discharge plan.
4. Provides advocacy, assistance, support, counseling and crisis intervention to patients and families. Facilitates hospital-sponsored support groups.
5. Functions in a liaison role between the hospital and community in making community resources available to the patient and family.
6. Maintains knowledge of Medicare, Medicaid and other program benefits to assist patients with discharge planning and choices. Knowledge of contemporary behavioral health and system theories relevant to health care, end of life dynamics, and interventions; grief and bereavement counseling, substance abuse identification and interventions, support of victims of abuse, neglect, or violence. Provides professional education to staff and community.
7. Gather / assessing information, apply counseling and developmental theories, utilizing diagnostic frameworks, and engage in collaborative treatment planning.
8. Has freedom to determine how to best accomplish functions within established procedures. Confers with supervisor on any unusual situations. Positions are facility based with no budgetary responsibility. Internal customers: All levels of nursing management and staff, medical staff, and all other members of the interdisciplinary health care team. External Customers: Home health agencies, nursing homes, insurance providers, volunteer services, county and governmental agencies and medical supply companies.
Requires a Master's Degree in Social Work, Counseling or related field (requirement is based on business need and regulatory compliance, all positions may not have this requirement).
Requires a Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) (equivalent*) or Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW). An equivalent license applies to states that do not recognize an LMSW; therefore, the employee must possess a Master's Degree and be a Licensed Social Worker. For assignments in an acute care setting, Basic Life Support (BLS) certification is also required.
Requires a proficiency level typically achieved with 3 years acute care hospital experience. Banner Registry and Travel positions require a minimum of one year experience in an acute care hospital setting. Experience must include working in an acute care setting within the past 12 months as a Social Worker MSW in the specialty area.
Must have knowledge of government/community resources such as Medicare, Medicaid, long-term care or any other applicable resources/services. Must demonstrate critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, effective communication skills, human relations skills and time management skills. In acute care, must be able to work flexible hours and take rotating call after hours.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R14063
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.